For as long as I can remember music has always been one of my happy places, no I am not talented enough to play an instrument (although I have never tried), but I have always loved listening to it. I think that I have a reasonably eclectic taste and goes from Pavarotti to the Prodigy and everything in between.
So it has been back to work for me this week, that has mean't the travelling about the place has started again fro 2018. Although I am not going to grumble, 2018 has treated me very well so far, in that my Dad gave me his old iMac (old as in about a year....bonus!!) and I have ordered a new car, which I left stupidly late. Due to the miles I do I lease my cars and my current one is going back on 19th January and until Friday I hadn't sorted a new one!
This is the question I have been asking myself since the launch of the new iPhone X.
I am an out and out Apple Fan boy and have always wanted / had the most up to date iPhone on the market, but this time I have hesitated from jumping head first into an Apple store and just telling them to take my money.
So this post has taken a while for me to put out there as I really didn't know what to focus on. Looking at my Instagram there is no doubt where we have returned from recently, but incase you are unaware or just don't follow my Instagram, Facebook or twitter then the place I am talking about is Disneyland Paris.
Today has been a busy but brilliant day! A rare day with just the eldest and me! We gave Ashleigh for her 21st a present we knew she would love, feeding the big cats at Paradise Wildlife Park.
This was months ago and it took her a while to find a date in her busy schedule she could make but today was the day. Ashleigh is obsessed with tigers, she loves them more than me I think. I was a little worried looking at the forecast that we were going to get soaked but mother nature did us a favour and the heavy rain stayed away.
Next month will see our first family holiday in over 3 years. We are all booked up to visit Disneyland Paris at the end of October to celebrate Little Geek's 13th Birthday, which will be when we are there!
We planned on turning up at the Euro Tunnel and surprising her as to where we were going, but as so much planning is likely to be needed we decided to tell her recently and include her in the plans, that way she won't miss out on anything we might forget etc
Booking the trip earlier this year I totally underestimated how much prepping is going to be required to ensure we are ready for this trip.
I have actually had to get a notebook and make a numerous lists of things we still need to sort before we go and they include:
- Making the car ready for the continent
- Planning our route
- Ensuring Passports are all up to date (can you believe mine had expired!)
- Booking restaurants for the duration of the trip. Luckily when we booked we got a deal including half board and the helpful people at Disney recommend that we book our restaurants ahead of time, something we probably wouldn't have even thought of!
- Preparing my legs, having a bit of a dodgy left leg I need to get this ready for walking serious distances each day!
- Lists..... making lists of what we want to see / do over the 4 days we are there!
There is much more that needs planning, I have yet to even think about clothes, What is the weather going to be like at the end of October in Paris?
As it is going to be the Little Geeks 13th Birthday on the Saturday, we have been wondering what can we do to make this day extra special? We have looked at the Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show but not sure if she will like this (If anyone has been let me know what you thought!), but what else should we do! More research is required I think.
For now I am going back to researching restaurants, at least 2 fussy eaters out of the 5 of us!
Oh and settings a reminder in my calendar to get he car serviced before we go! But if there are any seasoned Disneyland Paris travellers out there, be sure to get in touch with all your tips!!
I want to say I am a bit of an audiophile, but not sure that is correct when you are just talking about headphones/earphones. For years I had the brilliant Bose Soundtrue earphones, these weren't noice cancelling but did a good job of blocking out most ambient sounds around you.
Travelling a fair amount with work, be it on trains or more importantly the tube, I constantly find myself whacking the sound right up on my current earphones and I have no idea what damage this has / is causing to my ears, so this has had me thinking perhaps its about time to invest in some noise cancelling headphones!
Having researched a fair amount I have come up with the following shortlist of headphones:
- Bose QuietComfort 35- With Bose you know that you are going to get great sound quality as standard, a friend has a pair of these and they sit comfortably on the ear and the noise cancelling is excellent. The concern for me here is the cost at £330 they are seriously expensive. They do however come recommended as one of the top buys in every top 10 list I have read!
- Parrott Zik 3.0 - Are these headphones or piece of art well I think the answer is both, I have a feeling their look will be like marmite but personally like the look of these. They have a solid look to them nad by all accounts seem to have a solid feel to them. One thing I like the sound of is the handy app that enables you to play with the EQ and turn on off noise cancellation, also the fact that when you take the headphones off the music stops playing..... its the simple things right?
- Denon AHGC20 - Ok these are priced competitvely and look good and will be great for travel as they are able to fold flat. Designed and manufactured from aluminium with rubber finish plastic will give that soft touch! Back to the price, you are able to pick these up for £169 which is nearly half the price of the Bose!
- Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless- These are great headphones, I have used the wired versions sometime back and was seriously impressed with the build quality and sound. The downside is these are £374 which is a serious amount for headphones. They do have a reported 20 hour battery life (like some of the others)
Do you have any wireless headphones??? Would love to know your thoughts if you have some! Especially if you use them for travel and how much a difference have you noticed on volume levels?
For now I think I need to head down to somewhere (perhaps John Lewis?) who stocks these and give them all a test if they have them in stock and can try them on!!
I guess I should start this post with an apology..... if you follow me on Instagram then you wouldn't have been able to miss the spam of pictures, videos and stories I shared for which I am sorry, but we had a really good time!
We had a great week down in Pembrokeshire It is a place that I have been to with the family many times, mainly due to the fact that the wife has family down there and we are very lucky that her Nan is more than welcome for us to stay with her!
I have wrote about the girls on the blog post many a time, at birthdays and about teen geek being like me, however I don't think ever before we as a family have got on board for one together! If you hadn't guessed from the title, this isn't a family travel post, or a family day out! It is stupid things my eldest daughter Ashleigh has said!
So if you have read many of my tech related posts or follow me on any form of social media you will know that I am a massive Apple fan boy, my phone history has been dominated by the iPhone apart from a brief flirt back to an android phone with the HTC One..... needless to say we didnt get on!
So when I was approached by Three to test out a brand new Samsung S8 Plus I jumped at the chance! Not only had I read about this handset in the run up to the release but have also been a fan of its predecessors the S7 and more importantly the S7 Edge. I have also been intrigued with what Samsung have been doing with the Samsung Gear 360 camera and Gear VR.
Yesterday was a strange day weather wise, one minute brilliant blue sky with some amazing white fluffy clouds, the next moment very over cast and meant that a sudden down pour was imminent!
I decided to pay a visit to another National Trust property (I have membership so might as well make the most of it!), I couldn't tempt the family to come with but luckily my cousin Luke was on hand to come for a walk and seek inspiration from the amazing Belton House.
As a blogger you often get invites to events that are a bit vague as to what the event will be about, but when I received my first ever invite from Google it would have been rude to turn it down.
Lucky enough the event Google were hosting was the launch of some new tech! The event held at the end of March was at a pop up house just over Tower Bridge! For me timing was perfect as the day job already had me in London that day.