I have been testing the new iOS12 public beta out since its release and am loving some of the new features. One introduction was screen time, this enables you to see how much time you are spending on your phone, what apps you are using and how long you are spending on them!Read More
I have shared podcasts on here previously that I enjoy listening to, but it has been a while since I last did an update post!
Some of you know or will have got the gist if you follow me on Instagram that I do a reasonable amount of driving for my job and between audible and podcasts I get through it! If there is any interest in the book Is listen to then perhaps that can be another post, but for now I want to focus on the podcasts I have been listening to lately.Read More
If you had told my 15 year old self that I would later admit to loving a Skoda I would have laughed in your face..... very very loud.
Those of similar age to me will remember the jokes about Skoda when we were kids, so in 2015 I found it hard to believe that I was standing in a Skoda showroom in Harlow seriously questioning my sanity as I was about to commit to a 3 year lease deal on a new Skoda Octavia and say good by to my C Class Mercedes.Read More
This is the question I have been asking myself since the launch of the new iPhone X.
I am an out and out Apple Fan boy and have always wanted / had the most up to date iPhone on the market, but this time I have hesitated from jumping head first into an Apple store and just telling them to take my money.Read More
With just over a week away from the autumn Apple Event, it means it’s that time of year where geeks and Apple fan boys look towards Cupertino to see exactly what one of the worlds richest companies is going to announce next.Read More
I want to say I am a bit of an audiophile, but not sure that is correct when you are just talking about headphones/earphones. For years I had the brilliant Bose Soundtrue earphones, these weren't noice cancelling but did a good job of blocking out most ambient sounds around you.
Travelling a fair amount with work, be it on trains or more importantly the tube, I constantly find myself whacking the sound right up on my current earphones and I have no idea what damage this has / is causing to my ears, so this has had me thinking perhaps its about time to invest in some noise cancelling headphones!
Having researched a fair amount I have come up with the following shortlist of headphones:
- Bose QuietComfort 35- With Bose you know that you are going to get great sound quality as standard, a friend has a pair of these and they sit comfortably on the ear and the noise cancelling is excellent. The concern for me here is the cost at £330 they are seriously expensive. They do however come recommended as one of the top buys in every top 10 list I have read!
- Parrott Zik 3.0 - Are these headphones or piece of art well I think the answer is both, I have a feeling their look will be like marmite but personally like the look of these. They have a solid look to them nad by all accounts seem to have a solid feel to them. One thing I like the sound of is the handy app that enables you to play with the EQ and turn on off noise cancellation, also the fact that when you take the headphones off the music stops playing..... its the simple things right?
- Denon AHGC20 - Ok these are priced competitvely and look good and will be great for travel as they are able to fold flat. Designed and manufactured from aluminium with rubber finish plastic will give that soft touch! Back to the price, you are able to pick these up for £169 which is nearly half the price of the Bose!
- Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless- These are great headphones, I have used the wired versions sometime back and was seriously impressed with the build quality and sound. The downside is these are £374 which is a serious amount for headphones. They do have a reported 20 hour battery life (like some of the others)
Do you have any wireless headphones??? Would love to know your thoughts if you have some! Especially if you use them for travel and how much a difference have you noticed on volume levels?
For now I think I need to head down to somewhere (perhaps John Lewis?) who stocks these and give them all a test if they have them in stock and can try them on!!
I guess I should start this post with an apology..... if you follow me on Instagram then you wouldn't have been able to miss the spam of pictures, videos and stories I shared for which I am sorry, but we had a really good time!
We had a great week down in Pembrokeshire It is a place that I have been to with the family many times, mainly due to the fact that the wife has family down there and we are very lucky that her Nan is more than welcome for us to stay with her!Read More
So if you have read many of my tech related posts or follow me on any form of social media you will know that I am a massive Apple fan boy, my phone history has been dominated by the iPhone apart from a brief flirt back to an android phone with the HTC One..... needless to say we didnt get on!
So when I was approached by Three to test out a brand new Samsung S8 Plus I jumped at the chance! Not only had I read about this handset in the run up to the release but have also been a fan of its predecessors the S7 and more importantly the S7 Edge. I have also been intrigued with what Samsung have been doing with the Samsung Gear 360 camera and Gear VR.Read More
As a blogger you often get invites to events that are a bit vague as to what the event will be about, but when I received my first ever invite from Google it would have been rude to turn it down.
Lucky enough the event Google were hosting was the launch of some new tech! The event held at the end of March was at a pop up house just over Tower Bridge! For me timing was perfect as the day job already had me in London that day.Read More
You know when your kids moan that something is wrong with their phone, is your first instinct to think that they are just trying to pull a fast one to get a new phone?Read More
Yesterday WhatsApp announced on their blog that in the coming days they will be launching Video Calling to its 1 Billion users, so there is a high probability that if you are reading this you are a WhatsApp user!Read More
So a friend passed on an email to me a few weeks back for early access to the new Star Wars Identities exhibition taking place at The o2, (Thanks Debs!). The offer was with Time Out to get an early preview to the exhibition ahead of its official opening on 16 November.
It is difficult to tell you about the exhibition without ruining it for you but to give you the gist, it follows journey of Luke and Anakin Skywalker, right back from where it began in Tatooine, to their friends, mentors and choices they make during their life.Read More
Going on holiday is the perfect time to chill out and relax from the daily grind! When packing to go away there are a few essentials I have to take with me!
I'm not talking about swimming shorts, suncream etc I'm talking about gadgets and tech!
I already had my cameras, Mac, iPad and iPhone ready (nope I don't travel light) but to add to the kit and make sure we could all chill out whilst around the pool the lovely people from Wraps earphones sent us each a pair of their unique earphones.Read More
This post might get a little geeky so don't let it put you off!
I know from analytic stats on the blog that a large number of you read the blog on a mobile or tablet, and of those (75%) are reading iOS (Apple's mobile operating system), with the release of iOS 9 Apple introduced the News app, if you haven't checked it out then I recommend it its very good!
In March, Apple opened up the app so that anyone can publish to the News App including bloggers. I useRead More
This weekend I went to BritMums or #BML16 as they called it this year! A couple of people see me snapchatting and were confused about where to even start.
Snapchat has to be one of the fastest growing social networks around (I have no evidence to prove this but take my word for it), I get why, it is not just for the youth to share naked pictures of themselves on (it got some bad press about this at the beginning), but hasRead More
If you are not a geek like me but do like to know what is coming to your iPhone and other Apple devices later this year, I will try and give you a brief update of what was announced at the worldwide developer conference today!
I will start with the most common operating system and this is iOS, the software that your iPhone and iPad will be running on.Read More
With the tragic news coming out of Brussels today of another terrorist attack, I wanted to share a quick little tip, in the event you find yourself in the vicinity of an attack or some other emergency, getting access to credible organisations can make a big difference.
You may or may not have heard of Twitter alerts but more UK based accounts now have this function activated on their profiles. Most UK Police Forces, Fire Services and Ambulance have this function on their profile and it simple to setup up, you just click the button and its done!
If you sign up to receive an account's Twitter Alerts, you will receive a notification directly to your phone whenever that account marks a Tweet as an alert.
Notifications are delivered via SMS, and if you use Twitter for iPhone or Twitter for Android, you’ll also receive a push notification. Alerts also appear differently on your home timeline from regular Tweets; they will be indicated with an orange bell.
I urge you now to set this up on your phone or your children's phone (if they are old enough to be on twitter) to help provide them with information in the event of an emergency!
Please share this post with friends to spread the word!
It goes without saying that our thought's go out to all those impacted by this attack, and our thoughts are with the families and friends of all the victims!
Tonight we were catching up on some programs on our Sky Planner, and I got to choose (for a change!).... for me it was a chance to catch up on Traffic Cops, a programme I love! Unfortunately for a guy on this he crashed his car and sadly passed away.
During the search of the vehicle the police found his phone, and luckily it was unlocked, but what if it wasn't?Read More
Let's get one thing straight first.... I used to be a massive fan of Nokia and my first dozen phones were all Nokia, but when I moved over to smart phones (whenever that was) they didn't seem to keep pace with the competition. Most of you will know I am a massive Apple fan, and every where I go so does my iPhone, but being a gadget geek I love to try out new gadgets, and when Nokia UK gave me the opportunity to try out the Lumia 1520 I couldn't turn it down.
In summary I really like the phone, the feel, quality of the screen, camera etc is very good. How the phone feels in your hand is also pleasing (sounds wrong but if a phone feels horrible then the overall experience can be ruined).
Below I have summarised what I like about the phone and also don't like.
- The size - thought it would be to big but actually after using the 6" screen going back and picking up my small iPhone really does feel strange.
- The Camera - its pretty good, I am not sold on some of the functions but certainly managed to grab some great pics (see a collection of them below), the video on this is also very good.
- Nokia MixRadio - is a great alternative to spotify, has some fantastic features for creating playlists.
- Here Drive+ - as far as sat nav's on phones go, this is the best built in one I have used, the larger screen is also a bonus.
- Nokia Storyteller - is a great little app for collecting pictures and video of places you have been, and lets you collect them all in one place. Found this very hand when showing the wife pictures of a walk that me and the youngest went on.
- Battery - I can easily get 24 hours use without a charge, and that is using it at the same level as I use my iPhone
- Windows OS - I like it a lot
- live tiles - I like the snippets that this can give you for a number of apps with out opening them
- the way you can adjust the size of the tiles and personalise the home screen!
- Kids Corner- this is a very simple and easy way to lock the phone down and be safe in the knowledge that the kids cants access something they shouldn't.
- Data Sense - I am lucky that I have a 10GB data plan, but if you are on a restricted plan and you want to keep control of the data you are using then this built in app is perfect for tracking what you are using!
I have to admit there are very few, well in fact whilst writing this post I could only think of one, this is potentially a big one but if the rumours of introducing Android apps is true then this will resolve this main concern.
- 3rd party apps, the developers for Android / iOS either aren't developing the apps for windows or those that are certainly don't seem to have put the effort in!
So in summary I have been very pleased with the phone and how I got on with it. Would I consider getting a Nokia next time around? The answer to that has to be maybe, because I am so embedded with Apple but I certainly like the phone and would seriously consider it! I would certainly like this as work phone to replace my crapberry! but I wish I could have kept this phone, which gives you an idea of much I liked the phone.
The main issue for me is I am well embedded as an Apple user, for me to switch to another operating system would have unforeseen costs, such as repurchasing apps that I already have on the Apple iOS, that could potentially get quiet expensive! Shame there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer 3rd party apps without buying them again?
As mentioned earlier on in the blog attached are a few pictures we snapped using the Lumia 1520!!
Now recently the 9 year old was lucky enough to get an iPad for Christmas, and the teenager has had a mobile phone for a few years. It certainly did make me think about how they use their devices and what they have access to.Read More