I have been testing the new iOS12 public beta out since its release and am loving some of the new features. One introduction was screen time, this enables you to see how much time you are spending on your phone, what apps you are using and how long you are spending on them!Read More
In case you havent seen todays announcement from Instagram, they have launched Instagram TV or IGTV for short.
They are calling it their most exciting feature to date! IGTV is a new app for watching long-form ie longer than the short clips stories already offers.Read More
I have shared podcasts on here previously that I enjoy listening to, but it has been a while since I last did an update post!
Some of you know or will have got the gist if you follow me on Instagram that I do a reasonable amount of driving for my job and between audible and podcasts I get through it! If there is any interest in the book Is listen to then perhaps that can be another post, but for now I want to focus on the podcasts I have been listening to lately.Read More
If you had told my 15 year old self that I would later admit to loving a Skoda I would have laughed in your face..... very very loud.
Those of similar age to me will remember the jokes about Skoda when we were kids, so in 2015 I found it hard to believe that I was standing in a Skoda showroom in Harlow seriously questioning my sanity as I was about to commit to a 3 year lease deal on a new Skoda Octavia and say good by to my C Class Mercedes.Read More
This is the question I have been asking myself since the launch of the new iPhone X.
I am an out and out Apple Fan boy and have always wanted / had the most up to date iPhone on the market, but this time I have hesitated from jumping head first into an Apple store and just telling them to take my money.Read More
Going on holiday is the perfect time to chill out and relax from the daily grind! When packing to go away there are a few essentials I have to take with me!
I'm not talking about swimming shorts, suncream etc I'm talking about gadgets and tech!
I already had my cameras, Mac, iPad and iPhone ready (nope I don't travel light) but to add to the kit and make sure we could all chill out whilst around the pool the lovely people from Wraps earphones sent us each a pair of their unique earphones.Read More
If you are not a geek like me but do like to know what is coming to your iPhone and other Apple devices later this year, I will try and give you a brief update of what was announced at the worldwide developer conference today!
I will start with the most common operating system and this is iOS, the software that your iPhone and iPad will be running on.Read More
Why oh why oh why does there have to be so much nice tech out at the moment?
Being a gadget geek I am always looking out at new (and sometimes a little older) gadgets, but for some reason at the moment my wish list seems to be growing out of control!
To give you an idea of what I am going through, these are the gadgets at the top of my wish list!Read More
We spoke about when is the right time for a phone for the little geek previously in this post, and it looks like the right time is now! If you have a Tween (sorry I hate that saying but it works) and have not been asked the question "Can I have a phone?" then prepare yourself as I am sure it is just around the corner!
She is 10 going on 20, and very grown up for her age! As such we want to give her more independence and as a number of her friends already have phones we have agreed to get Little Geek an iPhone.
It will only be the iPhone 5C, in a nice vivid pink colour!Read More
As far as getting products sent to me for review (gradually getting more), but when the lovely folks over at BlackVue sent me a dash cam to review I knew I was going to love this!!Read More
I am a self confessed geek, whether it be new technology or social media, I like to be up to speed with this, and to be honest the latter helps when it comes to the kids.
All kids want a mobile phone, tablet etc for continual access to the internet, but how many of you talk to your kids about how to use social media and what the impact of posting something on line can be?Read More
Have you downloaded iOS 8 yet?
According to stats released by apple conversion is up to 45% currently which is not bad, but no doubt a few people have been put off due to the massive amount of space you need to update the iOS.
A quick tip, if you don't want to download the update via your phone / iPad you can still do this the old fashion way by connecting your device to your computer and updating via iTunes!
Now as for iOS8 there are some great additions to this:
- Battery Usage
- ou can now see which apps are draining your battery most, this is added into the usage part of the settings menu.
- Touch ID in 3rd Party Apps.
- ouch ID will not be new to iPhone 5s users but the fact that you can now use this on certain 3rd Party apps. So far for me this works very well for Day One app.
- 3rd Party Keyboards
- pple have updated the Apple keyboard, but for the first time 3rd party keyboards are accessible on the iPhone. SwiftKey is an excellent one which i use but go and have a look there are a few now in the app store.
- Updates to messaging app and additions of voice notes and quick video sharing
- or me this is a god send, not because I do a lot of group messaging but because the teen does so she can now mute some of them. As well as adding the do not disturb function to individual message, the ability to share current location as well as any easy access to attachments shared within the message.
- Handoff - ipad / Mac intergration
- A previous post has talked about issues using this and a fix, but this is a great little addition to the iOS. It enables you to start reading a website on your phone for example but then easily continue reading that on Mac or iPad without having to re enter site address, or on emails for example save the email as a draft and then re open on another device, it all works nice and seamlessly.
- Interactive notifications
- his enables you to quickly respond to the notification from within other apps etc, quickly respond to an message or sleep a reminder.
- Addition of 3rd Part widgets
- lot of people wanted widgets to be accessible from home screens but thats not been added instead they are on the notifications screen when you pull down from the top of the device. The today tab now lets you customise and add third party apps. I have added Yahoo News Digest to mine and Evernote so I can quickly create new notes, pictures
- Camera update
- nother nice little treat, time lapses will soon be everywhere, I have already added a couple to Instagram but more are surely to follow
There are other updates that I will no doubt realise and will update the post as and when I find ones I think are worth sharing.
I was also going to do a video to show you some of these but there are plenty of YouTubers out there way ahead of me such as macmixing, so check out his video here which shows you most of the above, plus a few more.
Let me know what you like dislike re iOS8 and what are your favourite changes?
With recent upgrade to iOS8, we see the introduction of Continuity and Handoff, both are great new features that make the user experience more seamless than it has ever been before when it comes to using multiple Apple devices.
Continuity is a function I have been wanting for ages as it lets you answer phone calls that come in on your iPhone on your iPad, and soon on your Mac via the up coming update to Yosemite which I have been using for on Beta for a while.
Handoff, along with family sharing is one of the best additions to iOS8 and Continuity.
This lets you start a task on one device, such as browsing a website on safari on your iPhone, and then pick up where you left off on another, be it the iPad or Mac.
Now if like me, when you update to iOS8 you might run into problems using these functions, luckily it looks like a pretty easy way to go about fixing it.
With these simple steps it should fix the issue of using Continuity and Handoff with iOS8:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone or iPad running iOS 8.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Handoff & Suggested Apps.
- Turn the Handoff option Off and then back On again.
- Tap General at the top to return to go back to previous menu screen
- Tap Settings at the top to return to go back to previous menu screen
- Scroll down and tap on FaceTime.
- Turn the iPhone Cellular Calls option Off and then back On again.
- Reboot your iPhone or iPad.
- Repeat this process with every device you'd like to use.
- Try placing a test call to see if the issue is resolved.
Below is a quick walk through gallery in case you get stuck but this will hopefully sort out any issue you have with this, leave a comment below if it works or if it don't!
If you have been living in as a hermit for the last couple of weeks and avoided social media during that time then you wont know what The Fappening is.... but basically a load of 'A list' celebs appear to have had their iCloud accounts hacked and load of what we call 'personal' photos have been shared around the world.
Now who would give a damn about your photos? The answer is somebody, the point is that your photos are your property and your probably wouldn't be happy with someone accessing them with out your authority.
There are a few simple steps to make this very difficult. The answer is 2-step verification. Now I already use this for Facebook, twitter, google etc but I recently added my apple account to that list.
What is 2-Step verification?
Its pretty simple, 2-step verification is an additional security feature for your account that's designed to prevent anyone from accessing or using your account, even if they know your password.
How do I set up 2-step verification?
Go to My Apple ID.
Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in.
Select Password and Security.
Under Two-Step Verification, select Get Started and follow the onscreen instructions
I did this and it was very simple and took all of 2 minutes to set up
You will need to have your password and your iOS app to hand as that will received a confirmation code to set up the 2-step verification.
Once you have this set up you will also receive a recovery key which it is highly recommend you keep in a secure place, or like me in a couple of secure places!
And that's it! If somebody tries to access your account from a computer or device not enabled by you then they will face something like this
It is worth exploring other 2-Step verifications for accounts that you have if they are available...
Any questions give me a shout!