You know when your kids moan that something is wrong with their phone, is your first instinct to think that they are just trying to pull a fast one to get a new phone?Read More
If you are not a geek like me but do like to know what is coming to your iPhone and other Apple devices later this year, I will try and give you a brief update of what was announced at the worldwide developer conference today!
I will start with the most common operating system and this is iOS, the software that your iPhone and iPad will be running on.Read More
Without trying to exaggerate to much I have fundamentally changed the way that I take photos on my iPhone now At its launch there were minor tweaks to from the iPhone but one that I really like the look of was Live Photos.
When I talk to others it is one of the points I highlight to them, and I am constantly surprised how many are unaware of this feature (perhaps I am just too geeky!).Read More
Ok don't get me wrong this is not a post about why I hate iOS9, in fact the opposite, I really like it! But a new setting introduced with iOS9 is WiFi Assist.
WiFi Assist is a great idea but if you do not have a fairly decent amount of data with your contract you might want to turn this off. Basically when you are connect to WiFi if the signal is pretty poor or a weak bandwidth it will switch to using your mobile data automatically to ensure the best experience and quick loading of pages etc.Read More
Tonight we were catching up on some programs on our Sky Planner, and I got to choose (for a change!).... for me it was a chance to catch up on Traffic Cops, a programme I love! Unfortunately for a guy on this he crashed his car and sadly passed away.
During the search of the vehicle the police found his phone, and luckily it was unlocked, but what if it wasn't?Read More
I am a geek (as the name suggest!), I love everything technology, if you have seen my post for The Dad Network, you will know that I have a bit of a love affair with technology.
But it doesn't stop there, I also love the internet! I was the first among friends to be on most of the social media networks, because its what I like. If its new and a change then the chances are I will explore it and want to understand it, inside and out!
Now how has this helped me as a parent? its simple, I am ahead of the game! Kids thesRead More
Have you downloaded iOS 8 yet?
According to stats released by apple conversion is up to 45% currently which is not bad, but no doubt a few people have been put off due to the massive amount of space you need to update the iOS.
A quick tip, if you don't want to download the update via your phone / iPad you can still do this the old fashion way by connecting your device to your computer and updating via iTunes!
Now as for iOS8 there are some great additions to this:
- Battery Usage
- ou can now see which apps are draining your battery most, this is added into the usage part of the settings menu.
- Touch ID in 3rd Party Apps.
- ouch ID will not be new to iPhone 5s users but the fact that you can now use this on certain 3rd Party apps. So far for me this works very well for Day One app.
- 3rd Party Keyboards
- pple have updated the Apple keyboard, but for the first time 3rd party keyboards are accessible on the iPhone. SwiftKey is an excellent one which i use but go and have a look there are a few now in the app store.
- Updates to messaging app and additions of voice notes and quick video sharing
- or me this is a god send, not because I do a lot of group messaging but because the teen does so she can now mute some of them. As well as adding the do not disturb function to individual message, the ability to share current location as well as any easy access to attachments shared within the message.
- Handoff - ipad / Mac intergration
- A previous post has talked about issues using this and a fix, but this is a great little addition to the iOS. It enables you to start reading a website on your phone for example but then easily continue reading that on Mac or iPad without having to re enter site address, or on emails for example save the email as a draft and then re open on another device, it all works nice and seamlessly.
- Interactive notifications
- his enables you to quickly respond to the notification from within other apps etc, quickly respond to an message or sleep a reminder.
- Addition of 3rd Part widgets
- lot of people wanted widgets to be accessible from home screens but thats not been added instead they are on the notifications screen when you pull down from the top of the device. The today tab now lets you customise and add third party apps. I have added Yahoo News Digest to mine and Evernote so I can quickly create new notes, pictures
- Camera update
- nother nice little treat, time lapses will soon be everywhere, I have already added a couple to Instagram but more are surely to follow
There are other updates that I will no doubt realise and will update the post as and when I find ones I think are worth sharing.
I was also going to do a video to show you some of these but there are plenty of YouTubers out there way ahead of me such as macmixing, so check out his video here which shows you most of the above, plus a few more.
Let me know what you like dislike re iOS8 and what are your favourite changes?